Tool #9 Assignment, create a new post in which you respond to the following:
1. Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective?As with any teaching, why would you waste any time if what you were doing didnot line up with your objectives. Our kids have an even deeper list of objectives that are designed for them as determine by the IEP team as prescribed by Federal Law.
2. Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers?We don't hold our leaders accountable for what they do, why should we do this with our students? Just joking but sometimes it makes us wonder. The more that make students accountable for their work the higher the chance that they will become masters of their work level and hopefully independent to think and create.
3. Visit 2 of the applicable links to interactive websites for your content/grade level. Which sites did you like. How could you use them as stations? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?
6. Both of these sites could be used as a follow-up to a math exercise. The student could use it for repeated practice or for a reward for completing their real assignments with the teacher. I would not use these sites as teaching stations unless I had someone monitor how they came to their answers as guessing is a possibility. It is more important for my kids to be observed so that we understand how they came to their answer. This determines the next level of activity for the child.
7. List two to three apps you found for the iPod Touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?I am going to need to have time touching and using the iPad myself before i can determine how i would use this with my students. It appears to be too fragile for our students. It also does not have much access for alternative devices or switches so it is limiting. We have some students use a touch screen on a computer and have had success. My kids enjoy being able to access anything that resembles a computer or video game as these see their siblings using these devices. My kids, more than anything, want to be like the normal kid. I also need to get some way to securely mount these devices as my kids do not have great fine motor control. We do not hold our kids accountable for work like this. This is the gravy.
8. What about other ways to use the iPod Touch/iPad? Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station. We have had some Life Skills meetings where some sites have been shared. The sites seem to look very elementary and cutesy at this time but I am sure that more will be developed.